Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Didn’t Find it Funny

Joseph Lowery at the end of his address made some statements that some may have seen as an attempt at humor but to me his comments on “whites” and “yellows” did not seem all that humorous. The gist being that the only people who have done wrong are “whites” and “yellows”, I assume that refers to Asians, take things too seriously. If that is not making color an issue I am not sure what is. If the goal of this new administration is unity I would have to say that was not a very unifying prayer to start things off. Again, some may say this was just humor and we should be able to laugh at ourselves but at an event such as the inauguration I am not sure that type of humor has a place, if you really want to call it humor. Here is the section of his prayer that this relates to:


"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

No comments: